I am going to be honest, I love those DIY/Home/Craft/Mommy blogs that have beautiful pictures of beautiful places. I, on the other hand, do not have one of those blogs. My pictures are taken with a cell phone – and not even and iPhone. My DIY projects are mediocre at best. I post sporadically with spelling errors. BUT I think most people who read my blog realize I am human and have a job and a kid and a life. So this counts as a disclaimer. I want to share my latest crafting adventure but without the beautiful DSLR photos or Pinterest worthy results. I am not going to let this stop me from sharing.
I found a cute, easy craft on Pinterest where you tape up a canvas, let your kiddo finger paint it, then remove the tape for a piece of ‘art’. I am trying to spruce our place up on a budget and thought this would be a fun way to do it. I turned out pretty cute!
Here’s what you need:
- Canvas – any size, shape, color, etc. Michael’s had a set of 3 on sale
- Finger Paint
- Painter’s Tape
- Bathtub – bonus points if you need to clean it anyway!
- Cute kid – bonus points if he needs a bath anyway!
Here’s how I did it:
1. I turned on the Unauthorized Saved by the Bell movie from Lifetime, opened a bag of trail mix and popped the top on an Oktoberfest.
2. I thought it would be cute to have 3 canvases – one that says ‘Mom’ ‘heart’ ‘Dad’. S. and I could put it above our bed.
3. I started pulling off strips of painter’s tape and taping it on the table in the shape of the letters and the heart. It’s was a bit of a pain, but the booze and Lifetime movie helped.
4. The next day I stripped Mike down to his diaper and squirted a little finger paint on the canvas and let him go to town. It took some time, but he eventually figured it out. You really have to be okay with messiness. The bathtub helps contain it, but I am pretty sure I still have finger paint in my hair.
5. I let the canvas’ dry while I hosed Mike and the bathtub down.
6. I pulled off the painter’s tape and ta-da! I think they turned out pretty well and it was fun too.